Today I was looking around for a quick birthday gift to make for a friend’s son and found my new favorite quick-gift: a toy bag! It’s technical term is a swoop bag. It was described as a lego bag but you could use it as a travel bag for any kind of toy. Or for organizing any toy with lots of parts to it. I’m going to make a large one to keep our girl’s doll house pieces in. And then make some more travel size ones for our nephew’s and niece’s upcoming birthdays. It would also make a great travel bag for me. Hmm. The ideas are endless. Did I mention it’s my new favorite thing to make? It’s the little things…
Original Pattern: Lego Sack from Make It Perfect. If you are going to make this bag, you need to read this post first. Below are just a few things I adapted from the original instructions.
Most of the adaptations were because I only had an hour to make this and was trying to cut out some steps to save time. It worked just fine doing it this way so I’ll probably just keep making them this way.
 I cut a fabric circle that was 18.5″ in diameter. I wanted a small travel bag for legos not a huge storage bag. If you make this size, put the button holes only 1″ from the edge of the fabric, not 2″. I didn’t think about that until later and ended up with more fabric above the cinch casing than I would have liked.
 I skipped cutting a square and cutting the pieces individually. Instead, I pinned my fabric right sides together and used my laundry basket as a stencil to trace a circle. I eyeballed and cut it out a 1/2″ above the line I traced (through both fabrics at once). I used the line as my sewing guide (after doing the button holes).
 I kept the fabric pinned together when I sewed the button holes. So I wouldn’t have to line it back up again. I took out one pin and folded back the outside fabric to sew the button holes in the lining fabric. (The blue fabric is the lining).
 Once you have the button holes sewn, sew both pieces together along the traced line (leaving a turn hole open) and then follow the blog post instructions linked above to turn it right side out and finish the project.
Here is what it looked like after I had sewn, turned, ironed, and top stitched it:
 Finally, I used ribbon instead of sewing ties because I ran out of time.